John A. Hudson
- Senior Managing Director
- Corporate Finance & Restructuring
- T: +1 404 460 6273
- F: +1 404 460 6299
- 1201 W Peachtree Street, NW
- Suite 500
- Atlanta, GA, 30309
- United States
- T: +1 404 460 6200
- F: +1 404 460 6299
- B.S., Economics, University of Florida
- FINRA Series 79 and Series 63
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Technology Association of Georgia
- Mergers & Acquisitions Advisory
- Private Equity Advisory
- Restructuring / Turnaround Services
- Telecom, Media & Technology (TMT)
- Energy, Power & Products
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
John A. Hudson is a member of FTI Capital Advisors, LLC, FTI Consulting’s wholly owned investment banking subsidiary and he has over 20 years of experience completing sell-side/buy-side transactions involving technology and intellectual property (IP) assets and IP-rich companies, valuing intangible assets, technology licensing, and providing IP strategic management and related risk mitigation advisory services.
Mr. Hudson’s past work has been in the context of M&A transactions, raising capital, divestitures, securitizations, joint venture formations and spinouts, internal audit procedures, restructuring, arbitration, mediation, litigation, investigations and business transformation.
Mr. Hudson has performed engagements across various industries and sectors including technology; media; telecom; healthcare; energy; consumer; aerospace and defense; industrials; and for clients that include Fortune 500 companies, universities, private companies, governmental agencies, PE and VC firms and funds and investors throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia.
Before joining FTI Consulting, Mr. Hudson was a Managing Director in Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC (DCF), which sits inside of Deloitte Advisory, where he led the tech and IP practice and was also the US lead for the Global IP Advisory practice.
Mr. Hudson has been recognized by his peer group as one of the IAM Strategy 300 – The World’s Leading IP Strategists every year since 2012.
- Exclusive financial advisor to a Fortune 100 consumer products company on numerous buyside and sell-side IP portfolio transactions.
- Exclusive financial advisor to a privately held technology company on the creation, implementation and execution of over 35 license agreements, eventually selling the IP portfolio for the company.
- Exclusive financial advisory to a large, public university to value and evaluate proposed buy-out of the University’s royalty stream; patented technology covered pharmaceutical eye therapy used for chronic dry eye syndrome; engagement included pre and post product launch valuations, buy-down structure recommendations, negotiation support and presentation of recommendations to the University President and the Board of Regents; ultimately leading to the largest technology transfer transaction in the school’s history.
- Engaged as exclusive financial advisor several times by one of the world’s largest telecom companies to analyze proprietary technologies, determine reasonable royalty rates for third-party licensing, and negotiate and execute license agreements.
- Exclusive financial advisor to a publicly traded technology and IP company and their sell-side process/go private $500+ million transaction with a leading private equity fund Financial advisor to the US Government related to the procurement of over $750 million of intellectual property assets.