Perioperative Services Optimization
April 05, 2023
A client engaged FTI Consulting to conduct a comprehensive assessment of perioperative services and subsequently engaged FTI Consulting to assist with and support implementation services.
In a concurrent Perioperative assessment, FTI Consulting assessed operational challenges and opportunities, resulting in enhanced alignment of processes and leadership and dashboard development and standardization.
The client is a not-for-profit healthcare system that provides inpatient, outpatient and ambulatory services.
They engaged FTI Consulting to conduct a comprehensive assessment of perioperative services. FTI Consulting identified various areas of opportunity related to governance optimization, space and capacity improvement and intraoperative throughput enhancement.
- FTI Consulting completed an assessment of perioperative services followed by implementation services focused in the following areas: perioperative governance optimization, space and capacity improvement with a focus on blocks and asset utilization, intraoperative throughput enhancement, coaching and project management.
- FTI Consulting assessed external vendors and made recommendations for internal reporting for optimized performance measurement in alignment with industry best practices.
- FTI Consulting collaborated with scheduling staff to identify opportunities for enhanced planning.
- FTI Consulting analyzed staffing to volume ratios for Central Sterile Processing, PACU, Pre-Op and the OR to assess opportunities to level staffing with volume.
- Initiated optimized performance reporting for the following areas: block management, turnover time, first case on time starts
- Implemented Patient and Room Readiness by implementing focused trackers and monitoring tools.
- Collaborated with OR and EVS to improve between case cleaning times by 50%.
- Collaborated with Perioperative services leadership to implement a “weather report” process for care planning, to include scheduling and staffing.
- Designed process workflows for Central Sterile Processing, Pre-Admission Testing and Population Health programs.
- Refined policies in several areas of Perioperative services to support the optimization of patient flow, throughput and governance.