FTI Experts’ Hub: Brace Yourselves for a Full Return to the Office by 2028
Mark Dunec Shares His CRE Predictions, Touching On What To Expect For Office Valuations.
November 08, 2023
Mark Dunec, Senior Managing Director in FTI Consulting’s Real Estate Solutions practice, sat down with Commercial Property Executive’s Senior Editor Laura Calugar to discuss CRE predictions, property valuations and return to the office.
His predictions are rooted in the belief that businesses are being negatively impacted from the lack of in-person interactions and relationship building that occurs between colleagues in the office. Mark describes the office as a non-stop learning environment and work from home is limiting the opportunities for the younger generation joining the corporate world post-COVID. Remote work has also negatively impacted property valuations.
Mark develops strategic real estate operating and capital markets solutions for both domestic and international clients. He has more than two decades of CRE experience and specializes in underwriting pro forma cash flow, valuation, acquisition due diligence, financing, recapitalization, asset and entity restructuring and repositioning. He currently teaches graduate real estate courses at the University of Miami in Florida and Montclair University in New Jersey.
Time Breakdown on Main Topics Covered:
- Is CRE business suffering from the lack of face-to-face interactions and relationships? (1:33)
- Will companies that have reduced their office footprints be looking for more space? (4:53)
- How external factors impact CRE properties (8:29)
- Heavyweight office landlords are already delinquent or have defaulted on their loans. What signals does this send to the market? (11:02)
- Expectations when it comes to modern office assets and their values (14:14)
- Amid cyclical headwinds and longer-term structural changes, when will office property values stabilize? (18:43)
- Who will be the winners five years from now? (21:20)
- How is the younger generation perceiving what is going on in the real estate market today? (23:14)