Euan Sutherland leads FTI Consulting’s Tax practice and its Real Estate group in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, with more than 20 years of experience advising on real estate transactions. In recent years Euan has advised on a wide range of investments and developments, predominately acting for private equity, international investors and lenders.
Euan has advised on a broad range of structures, transactions and asset classes, drawing on his experience in the real estate industry and his prior experience as a solicitor. He works on complex transactions and leads the inception and execution of the deal structuring.
Euan also advised a number of lenders, borrowers and debt funds, both during the global financial crisis and in the last two years, leading the advice on the impact of restructurings as part of company voluntary arrangements (“CVAs”), administrations and pre-pack arrangements. His expertise also extends to stamp taxes and advising on the formation of private equity funds, joint ventures and club deals.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting in 2015, Euan led a number of key UK real estate tax relationships at a Big Four firm for 13 years. Euan has worked with HM Treasury, HM Revenue & Customs and the Scottish Government on the drafting of new legislation.
- Structuring of a UK-focused U.S. private equity (“PE”) fund
- Advising on the corporate acquisition by and listing of a UK real estate investment trust (“REIT”)
- Advising on the corporate acquisition of a series of UK science parks by a UK REIT
- Advising on the corporate acquisition and subsequent sale of a portfolio of £200 million science parks by a U.S. PE fund
- Advising on sale of £1.2 billion real estate-backed hotel corporate portfolio (14 hotels, 28 companies) by a U.S. PE fund
- Advising a U.S. PE fund on building a portfolio of UK holiday parks, followed by £280 million corporate exit
- Advising a U.S. PE fund on building a portfolio of UK Private Rental Sector assets, followed by £300 million corporate exit.
- Advising a U.S. PE fund on the acquisition, development and disposal of a £300 million logistics park
- Advising a Singapore investor on the acquisition of multiple portfolios of ‘Opoco-Propco’ regional student accommodation blocks
- Advising on the acquisition of a portfolio of Jersey Property Unit Trusts holding regional shopping centres by a UK Local Authority
- Advising on the acquisition of £200 million non-performing loan portfolio, and subsequent enforcement of property portfolio
- Advising on the enforcement strategy for creditors of UK REIT