Strategy & Transactions
A changing macroeconomic environment, fluctuating commercial real estate pricing as well as liquidity and an abundance of unspent cash reserves create ripe opportunities that can play a role in your organization's investment and capital decisions and, at the same time, impact the preservation of asset and enterprise value. Real estate organizations need to be operationally prepared to react to market trends in real time.
Our deep real estate industry experience provides unbiased, strategic guidance, unmatched expertise and unwavering support to address these needs.
How We Help
Both publicly traded companies and privately held entities look to our Strategy & Transactions professionals to help create and deploy informed transactional and operational strategies. We tailor our integrated suite of solutions and capabilities to every client with an eye toward creating and preserving value.
Today’s evolving real estate market presents investors with a new set of opportunities and challenges...
Today’s evolving real estate market presents investors with a new set of opportunities and challenges when acquiring, disposing of or holding real estate assets. Decision makers should equip themselves with an in-depth understanding of values, real estate fundamentals and structuring alternatives.
Global public and private real estate companies, including owners/developers, REITs, financial institutions, private equity funds, insurance companies, family offices, governments, as well as origination and securitization lenders, can find top expertise in:
- Transaction structuring and development of a capital markets strategy
- Offering memoranda and investment books; historical and prospective cash flows
- Strategic observations and operational consulting
- Corporate-level merger and acquisition due diligence; property and entity-level due diligence
- Working capital reviews
- Site inspections and tenant interviews
- Market assessments
- Property, portfolio and enterprise valuations; expense recovery analyses (e.g., operating expenses, real estate taxes, capital improvements, CPI escalations, porters’ wages, HVAC); and real estate tax assessment review
Financial Analysis for Portfolios and Single Assets
- Financial statements; operating statements; and rent rolls
- Asset- and portfolio-level cash flow and DCF
- JV and promote modeling for IRR and return analyses and track records
- Public-to-public, private-to-public and public-to-private pro forma modeling
- Development deal pro formas (highest- and best-use analyses)
- Sensitivity analyses (pre- and post-tax)
- Contracts, agreements, site inspections and closing statements
Loans; Mortgages; and Servicing Histories
A bumpy capital markets recovery has revealed unprecedented challenges as well as new opportunities for owners...
A bumpy capital markets recovery has revealed unprecedented challenges as well as new opportunities for owners and developers seeking capital for growth, investors looking to deploy capital, and operating businesses trying to enhance or unlock enterprise value. FTI Consulting — through its investment banking subsidiary, FTI Capital Advisors, and its real estate brokerage subsidiary, FTI Consulting Realty — helps public and private sponsors, operators, investors and operating businesses that are strategically dependent on real estate. Our real estate experts assist with debt and equity financings; asset- and portfolio-level transactions; business combinations (including joint ventures and M&A); and strategic moves or decisions that may affect enterprise value.
Debt/Equity Placement, Joint Ventures and Investment Programs
Merger & Acquisition Advisory
FTICA is registered with FINRA in the United States and engages in securities transactions pursuant to that registration. In non-U.S. securities transactions, FTICA may be required to work with securities dealers registered in other countries.
FTI Capital Advisors, LLC (member FINRA/SIPC) is the wholly owned investment banking subsidiary and FTI Consulting Realty, LLC is the wholly owned real estate brokerage subsidiary of FTI Consulting, Inc. (NYSE: FCN).
The real estate industry is experiencing significant growth, disruption and change: a trend that is likely...
The real estate industry is experiencing significant growth, disruption and change: a trend that is likely to continue for years to come. This industry-wide change is forcing real estate investors and owners to reassess their operations with an eye toward increasing efficiency and effectiveness. Once accustomed to managing through manual processes, real estate companies are implementing technologies to improve automation and workflows. At the same time, they are assessing their approach to improve data management and technology, processes, and the structure of their organization.
Technology and Operating Model Assessment, Design and Implementation Services
- Operating model scalability assessments
- Technology selection, assessments and implementation
- Service provider selection and assessments
- Organization design
- Process and policies & procedures design
- Project management
- Organization change management
Analytics and Data Management Services
- Data strategy and design
- Data governance
- Data analytics and dashboard design
- Data collection and processing automation
Our experts can help you determine the key drivers for creating maximum project value.
Our experts can help you determine the key drivers for creating maximum project value. We help manage relationships among investors, developers and public sector stakeholders to create and execute complex development projects. In addition, we help clients access capital and we articulate the economic and business benefits of projects to satisfy investor and regulatory requirements.
- Highest and best use, land use, economic and community development, public benefits and capitalization, and feasibility
Project Program and Public Policy Review
- Market and financial feasibility, investment analyses and transaction support
Due Diligence and Underwriting
- Valuation and appraisal, economic and fiscal impact analyses, public/private partnership structures, project finance planning, technical reports and implementation
- Construction management oversight, outsourced accounting and tax analyses, and regulatory compliance
At FTI Consulting, we believe that designing effective and appropriate executive and board compensation programs...
At FTI Consulting, we believe that designing effective and appropriate executive and board compensation programs cannot be addressed in a transactional manner, but instead requires a proactive approach that includes reviewing and understanding an organization’s compensation philosophy, interviewing and developing relationships with the organization’s board and management team, and fostering a year‐round relationship with clients.
Our expertise covers complex and routine compensation and governance matters. We take pride in our relationship-based approach, which enables our experienced professionals to leverage our extensive knowledge of the dynamics and key factors directly impacting our clients to create compensation programs that support organizational goals. This approach is only possible by engaging in relationship-driven consulting that focuses on the underlying culture and strategy at each company.
FTI Consulting works closely with public and private companies to create customized and balanced compensation programs designed to reward and motivate management for long-term performance. We also provide expert advice on the development and implementation of disciplined and compliant corporate governance policies.
Compensation Plan Design and Implementation
- Review and risk assessment of executive and board compensation
- Incentive compensation program design, including performance metric selection and goal setting, plan leverage and calibration, pay mix between fixed and at-risk components, and accounting and tax implications
- Negotiation and review of employment agreements
- Equity incentive plan review and upsizing
- Carried interest/promote structure design and implementation
- Design of non-carry real/synthetic equity incentive arrangements
Corporate Governance Advisory
- Policy review and risk assessment
- Board and executive performance evaluations
- Succession planning
- Shareholder engagement and outreach
Litigation Support Services
Corporate Transaction Services
- Transaction advisory, including IPOs, corporate spin-offs, management internalizations, and merger integration
- Computation of severance and 280G excise tax gross-up payments
- Negotiation of non-compete and retention agreements
Featured Service Sheets
Meet Our Experts
Jahn S. Brodwin
Senior Managing Director, Co-Leader of Real Estate Solutions
New York, NY
Ingrid Rivera Noone
Senior Managing Director, Co-Leader of Real Estate Solutions
Senior Managing Director, Chairman Emeritus of Real Estate Solutions
Senior Managing Director, Head of EMEA Tax Advisory
London, United Kingdom
London, United Kingdom