Spectrum Auction Services
The FTI Consulting Auction Services Practice is a leading global provider of wireless spectrum auction advisory and related services, including auction design and execution, online auction management software, bid tracking and auction simulation software, bid strategy and gaming, war room management, competition analysis, valuation and business model development.
We help auction participants achieve their objectives, whether maximizing revenue, minimizing costs, improving coverage or creating market competition. Additionally, we help bidders understand the intricacies and implications of auction design and rules, using game theory to develop sound bidding strategies that promote successful outcomes.
Our team includes world leading academics and experts with diverse backgrounds including mathematics, computer science, economics, engineering and public policy who support all aspects of the auction and act as independent experts providing testimony and expert witness support in matters of auction design and competitive procurement.
How We Help
Auction Design & Management
We provide a complete suite of auctioneer services to government and business clients, offering full circle solutions as well as a la carte services to fill specific client needs. Key services include:
- Evaluations and recommendations of alternative auction designs and formats to best achieve goals and objectives, including Simultaneous Multiple Round (SMR), Clock, Combinatorial Clock (CCA), and others
- Planning and implementation of all the steps, stages and tasks to guide an agency’s spectrum allocation events
- Detailed, written auction rules
- Advice on the consultative process with potential bidders
- Advice on promotion of the auction to existing players and potential new entrants
- Advice on the pre-qualification process and evaluation
- Detailed, written auction procedures leading to a smooth administration of the entire process
- Assistance with auction rule translation into the software
- Training in overall administration of the process
- An independent auction manager who guarantees the integrity of the process
- Assistance with testimony and expert witness support with respect to auction design and other regulatory matters
We also provide custom, tailored software platforms to support all auction formats — from commonly used Simultaneous Multiple Round (SMR), Combinatorial Clock Auctions (CCA), and Clock auctions — to unique specialized designs, FCC incentive auctions, real time auctions and double sided auctions. Our auction software is based on our experience managing and advising bidders through hundreds of auctions. It provides auctioneers with a secure platform from which to run auctions and monitor bidder activity in real time and in a secure manner. Also, it provides bidders with an easy-to-use interface that can be accessed using standard web browsers and supports the transfer of round data to facilitate ad hoc analysis and the use of supplemental analysis tools.
Bidding Strategy and War Room Support
For a bidder, an efficient bidding strategy is the central element of a successful outcome. Our auction practice is built around providing world leading auction and game theory experts who have developed and executed bidding strategies that consistently achieved superior auction outcomes relative to goals and the competition. In addition, we collaborate with an extensive network of academics pioneering in the fields of auction and game theory. We provide:
- Support in the Consultation Process
- The bidder’s early involvement in auction design and the rule making process is key to achieving successful outcomes. We help our clients understand the proposed auction design and support them during the regulator consultation process. Understanding the strategic implications that one design or another can have on their business.
- Bidder Training and Simulation Software
- Bidder education and training is a pivotal part of the preparation to the auction. We train our clients to successfully bid in the auction. We offer a variety of tools and services ranging from auction rule analysis seminars to mock auctions and war games with live and robotic bidders.
- For each auction, we develop advanced software tools that track bids and automate calculations and analysis after each round.
- We also develop simulation software that replicates the auction design and rules. Clients use this software to conduct simulations, run mock auctions and train their bidding team. Our deep understanding of game theory and competition issues forms an integrated part of our auction simulations and automated bid tools.
- All the software is designed and built for each project to accurately reflect auction design and satisfy specific client needs. However, we maximize time and cost efficiency by using our standardized building proprietary modules and libraries that we constantly expand and improve.
- Software tools utilize multiple platforms and programming languages to achieve best performance, including MatLab, Gurobi, Visual C++, Python, Numpy, Pandas, and scikit-learn.
- Wireless Spectrum Valuation Services
- Our valuation team has decades of experience in valuing business assets and specializes in Wireless Spectrum. We offer spectrum valuation services in the context of auctions as well as litigation, tax, investments, and for business strategy purposes.
- War Room Management and Live Auction support
- Bidding in an auction is usually a high stress and dynamic project that calls for complex decision- making and sophisticated analyses. We help our clients create the right environment from war room IT and policies to appropriate staffing and analysis protocols, which allows us to avoid costly mistakes and execute optimal bidding strategies.
Dr. David Salant
Advisor to FTI Consulting
Dr. David Salant is an advisor to FTI Consulting and is a leading expert on auctions and game theory. He has more than 20 years of experience in advising firms on bid strategy and regulators. His primary areas of concentration are auction strategy, auction design, regulation of network industries, (notably telecom and energy), and competition policy.