Public and private REITs, private equity funds, real estate operating companies, developers and investors all need to comply with international, federal, state and local tax rules and regulations. They must navigate the evolving, complex tax laws and regulations of the real estate, hospitality and finance industries, as every business decision and real estate transaction they make is connected to these.
How We Help
The seasoned tax advisory experts at FTI Consulting offer support to clients with all transactions, including acquisitions, refinancing, debt and equity restructurings, and sales and other dispositions, providing best practice tax structuring, compliance and due diligence services.
Clients can achieve significant tax savings and increased cash flow by reclassifying and accelerating depreciation...
Clients can achieve significant tax savings and increased cash flow by reclassifying and accelerating depreciation of real estate assets through our cost segregation analysis. We conduct these analyses for new construction, renovations, expansions and acquisitions, as well as on properties already on your balance sheet and those that have been sold.
Engage us for solutions that cover:
- New construction
- Renovations/leasehold improvements
- Retroactive depreciation/look-back studies
- ASC 805 — purchase price allocations
- Insurance replacement cost studies
- Section 1060 — purchase price allocation
Families that create or inherit substantial wealth are challenged with managing its impact on current and...
Families that create or inherit substantial wealth are challenged with managing its impact on current and future generations. We offer the following sophisticated consulting services to high-net-worth individuals and their families:
- Income tax planning and compliance
- Estate tax planning
- Financial and retirement planning
- Family office services
- Philanthropy and foundation services
- Succession and governance planning
- Fiduciary/trust accounting services
Clients work with our real estate tax experts when they seek to offset the burden of new taxes, plan for state...
Clients work with our real estate tax experts when they seek to offset the burden of new taxes, plan for state and local tax audits, and prepare for evolving regulatory requirements.
Tax services include:
- Transaction advisory and due diligence
- Controversy and audit defense
- Voluntary disclosure agreements
- Compliance enhancement/risk management
- Credits and incentives guidance
- Escheat property/unclaimed funds advisory services
The restructuring of distressed companies requires specialized tax consideration.
The restructuring of distressed companies requires specialized tax consideration. Our tax experts specialize in identifying and creating solutions to tax issues that result from the restructuring of distressed companies. We help maximize the recovery of claims by creditors and other stakeholders.
- Upfront identification of tax issues
- Determination of tax opportunities and exposures
- Debt workout impact evaluation
- Loss limitation impact analysis
- Financial model review
Clients rely on our expertise in areas such as the formation of a new entity, Section 1031 exchanges, sale...
Clients rely on our expertise in areas such as the formation of a new entity, Section 1031 exchanges, sale leaseback transactions, management of REIT income/distributions and the acquisition/disposition of assets.
- Transactional tax structuring/consulting
- Tax return compliance
- REIT compliance and planning
- Opportunity fund compliance and structuring
Corporate Finance & Restructuring, Real Estate
April 6, 2020 – On March 27, the President signed into law the CARES Act, designed to provide financial relief to those impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.